Wednesday, October 27, 2010

HUBURUS

Photobucket

I saw a helmet from a conquering army
There alone on solemn rocks :
Two holes each about a finger’s width,
one going in and one coming out,
Marred this green and headless monument left behind.

I stand in the desert near it on the sand my boots half sunk
Nothing else can be seen which would reveal more
For that single pierced item laying there
Tells me that it is no longer required.

And in my mind these words appeared,
“My name is Cheney, king of kings: Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”

Nothing beside remains round the eternity of that single object,
Boundless and bare The lone and level sands stretch far away...

©David Evans,(thanks Shelley) October, 2010

1 comment:

David Evans said...

A possible second paragraph could be:

“My name is Cheney, king of kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.