Saturday, April 21, 2012


            Φ ι λ α δ έ λ φ ε ι α



I was born in Philadelphia and lived my first ten years  

there. I played in  Rittenhouse Square as a child.  My family on both sides passed through this

 town. My father's family came here after William Penn opened this land to his


 food in about 1845. This park (or square) goes way back with Penn's plans for 


Philadelphia between the rivers. The Quakers called city blocks squares because

 they usually were square. Everybody I ever knew in Philadelphia is either gone or


 dead. For me it is just a town of memories but these memories helped to make me


 who I am.








This is a picture of the three men I admire most, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost
.
  If you look carefully you can see them. 

  Right behind the the three men you will see the Fairmount Waterworks.  I 

understand that it supplied water to the burghers. It stopped working in

 1909 a few years after my mother was born. I guess they found a 


method to provide water because it always came out of our zink.  

Behind the waterworks you can see the Philadelphia Museum of Art

dominating the Fairmount landscape.








a

This picture is either, a picture of love on one of the most important days

 of their lives.  Or, it could be a commercial photo opportunity.  I, of course


 do know which it is (and I know you do too).  But it is fun to dream, isn't


 it?





No comments: