Friday, July 27, 2012

Faint Memories of a Childhood Long Ago






I stayed home from work today because I had been a bit under the weather.
I had laid myself across the bed and fell asleep along with my cat.  I am a man of seventy-six years of age now and have been living alone since the death of my wife about five years ago. I still feel and love and wish and dream as always.  However, something occurred to me while in this shallow slumber that pushed me to an experience which I have not fully enjoyed for the past seventy ears. I would describe what I felt as a pure strong profound emotion almost visceral. What awakened me were the sounds of little boys and girls gleefully screaming and shouting outside like only children can. In my slumber as I was coming to I momentarily believed that I too was in my childhood and was one of the little boys who I could hear. I again experienced this pure joy of childhood of anticipating the fun and joy I was about to experience with my best pals. A jolt of adrenalin shot into my body propelling me into a sitting position, ready to jump up and run out to play again on this best of all days with my best of all friends in the whole world. Then I woke up and that special feeling was again just a memory.

No comments: