Saturday, July 28, 2012

I Am Lately Learning What Has Been Obvious To Some For Quite Awhile

Elaine once told me, “you cannot just leave a bit of beauty for what it is, appreciate it and move on”. I still cannot. I think I know why now. In that wild twilight time between sleep and consciousness, that which has been burred sometimes for years in one's amygula momentarily flows unencumbered into the consciousness before being snuffed back into oblivion. Fortunately for me yesterday, that which was recovered by my consciousness was a snippet of a pleasurable emotion. Being a recovered emotion rather than a recovered memory it is experienced in maximum intensity, such as the beatific vision is said to be. The memory of the event which stays in the consciousness is recalled as sublime, because the amygula speaks the language of emotion and not of reason. And this is mostly good for humans but occasionally bad. This is what the genius Freud devoted his early career delving into.

Why is this so?
When the emotion being experienced is terror rather than joy, the state is being translated into basic absolute terms which is all this primitive organelle can deal with. The consciousness mind, the higher mind, finds itself hard put to give back which the brain put so much effort in hiding in the first place, e.g., the trauma and
stress.


David Evans 

No comments: